Asset IP question

Like many (most?) of us, a lot of our workforce is working remotely these days, connecting to the network via VPN. I notice in Support Central, when IPs are added as a field in Assets, this provides a way to see who is connected via VPN but not reliably. For instance, when I connected via VPN and opened Support Central this morning, I could see my computer listed as on network and with an IP that indicated I was connected via VPN. Half an hour later, although I am still connected and working, my computer’s listing changed to off - IP listing as 0.0.0.0. So I’m curious where and how IPs are being gathered and if there is a way to refresh them?

Thanks,
Margaret

the ip is gathered when we ping the machine. If it does not receive a ping it will show the above.

That’s what I thought, but I can ping these machines, and get back an IP. However, I just tested pinging from the server (instead of a laptop) and that failed so there may be some server specific settings to adjust. If you have any ideas, let me know and I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks.

Does your firewall allow IP traffic between the internal server and VPN clients? By default, this may not be permitted.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve been talking this over with a colleague and our setup (we don’t manage the VPN settings, two domains, limited pool of IPs for VPN clients, clean up of DNS entries is always going to lag so there are multiple DNS entries for the same IP for the VPN clients) is such that we think expecting real-time info as far as IP goes for the VPN clients is unrealistic. All the on-site clients are fine. We’ll just have to keep in mind that real-time IP info and connection info for VPN clients is one task we can’t expect from BOSS.

Yours,
Margaret